Monday, March 5, 2012

"oh wait, you don't speak english."

        And so it began. As Rachel commented, I disappeared into my apartment building with my host Mom, Patty. This lady is fabulous. I was so happy to talk with her as I had a bite of breakfast and her husband, Enrique, (host dad). We talked about my flight and a bit about Viña, (I honestly can't remember a lot, because I was tired.) However, Enrique said he had forgotten his laptop at his Veterinary Clinic and asked if I would like to come with him. Of course I jumped at the chance. We went to the clinic and he pointed out important streets and my university, but it was difficult to understand totally because he doesn't speak English. In fact, most people don't. They later told me only 5% of the country can. I'm thrilled about this fact, don't get me wrong, but it is taking some getting used to.
       When we returned home, My host brother (Enrique, or Enro) and host sister (Maka) had woken up. They told me my spanish was pretty good, which is very flattering coming from these professional spanish speakers. Enro speaks english though, he's actually really good. They tell me Maka can understand english, but she refuses to speak it. It's just as well. If I don't practice every day, I'll never learn the amount I'm hoping to.
        After meeting them, I took a nap. I got up later and we had lunch. It was delicious. A fish called atún, and rice with salad. My parents had told me earlier that they were speaking slowly (lento) so that I could understand, but that everywhere else the Chilean accent is fast and (in my opinion) slurred. It's true.               At lunch, I was content to listen and watch the spanish spoken between the family. At times, some members don't even open their mouths more than half an inch, and forget about trying to read lips. I felt as though it might be a joke and they were all actually speaking Chinese. Today was better though.
       After lunch, I took another nap, got up and went with Patty and Maka to the mall to buy a phone and some shampoo. The mall was pretty fun, not too disimilar to malls here. When we came back we had Once, which stands for the eleven letters in Aguardiente (hard liquor). I think they told me men used to say they were going out with their friends for Once and maybe meant drinking. More on that later, but today Once is similar to dinner since lunch is the main meal of the day.
       Today Enro took me on the buses and showed me how to get to my university and such since tomorrow I have orientation. I'm kind of terrified of the buses-- mostly because I'm afraid I'll not understand someone if they ask me a pertinent question, or that I'll forget where I'm going and end up in some town where they still speak spanish. :D But, I suppose they don't call it an adventure for nothing.

Tomorrow's a new day amigos,




Colin

P.S. Here's some pictures of my room and the view from our terrace!

4 comments:

  1. Que raro aprender de tu experiencia por blog. :( Necesito verte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin, you will have a fabulous first day and I'm sure you will figure out the buses. When youtwo get back, I won't be able to understand a word of your Spanish because you will both speak so quickly. I can't wait to hear more. I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que me alegro que todo va muy bien para los dos! La vista es espectacular! Que disfruten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Statue of Liberty picture :)

    I'm glad the two of you have good host families. I miss yall so much already! I doesn't feel like a few days; it feels like a few weeks! I'm glad yall are having fun, though. Good luck with school!

    ReplyDelete