Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Arrival

Well, after nearly 24 hours of blessedly uneventful traveling and less than two hours of sleep, we have arrived safe and sound in Viña! From the seven send-offs we had in the week leading up to leaving all the way to the hugs and kisses waiting at the doors to our host family apartments, everything has gone unbelievably well. Thank you everyone for your prayers and well-wishes.

I can't speak for Colin because I haven't seen him since he disappeared into his host family's apartment building this morning, but my Chilean family is perfect. My brother, Sidney, came out and carried my bags inside for me, and my mother, Lorena, hugged and kissed me about three times before I even got in the door. They showed me around the apartment and put my stuff in my room and sat down and talked to me for about 20 minutes before they shooed me to my room to catch up on (obviously) much-needed rest. When I woke up six hours later, they laughed and asked if I would like lunch even though it was 4pm. As I ate they asked me about my family and my hobbies and my likes and dislikes and told me all about their country, their town, their language, and their family. I'm so glad I've been given the opportunity to know these people.

Besos from Viña!
Rachel

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS BLOG!!! How nice to know you made the connection in Panama....from the airport to the apartments ....and were greeted with a kiss. Can't wait to hear about Lorena and Sydney. My warmest regards to them!

    Pete and family on Valerie's account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you both arrived safely and that your host family is so welcoming and friendly! I love you and I can't wait to hear more from the both of you.

    Kali :-)

    ReplyDelete