Thursday, March 8, 2012

Amigos, Vagos, Vida

So, we took a test a couple of days ago to determine our spanish abilities. We both did pretty well! We were placed in the Intermediate Advanced group. Basically we are allowed to take the set spanish courses for the exchange students, then also some electives and/or classes at the main campus with Chilean students. The best part of all this is that we will not be having classes on Fridays!!! This has never happened to me before. All it took was leaving the country, haha.

Also, we had to register our student visas with the Registro Civil. It's a municipal building with a lot of overworked people and lots and lots of lines. We ended up waiting for around 3 hours but we did make a new friend. Her name is Estephani. 

She is super nice and is newly graduated from UVM (Universidad ViƱa del Mar) where we go! She works with international students and was happy to talk to us, albeit a little slowly. 
(Side note: we saw a Chilean man that was the spitting image of Barack Obama. Me, being the social gringo that I am, went up and told him who we thought he resembled. He laughed and said that when he wore a tie, he got it often. I figured it would be too rude to ask for a photo with him, so just use your imagination.)

Today we had an oficial welcome to the university from the Director of International Studies. Also, there was some folk dancing by some talented young ladies. Afterwards we had lunch (hamburguesas) and then Rachel and I joined some other gringos on a walk towards the beach. We ended up at a Mexican Restaurant and enjoyed each other's company. While there, a street performer of sorts who had also been at the orientation showed up. 



Interesting guy, with his pet parrot, but nice all the same.

Tonight there is talk of a Corrida Nocturna (night run) but since I don't have the right shoes, we'll see how much running I actually do. 

In other news, things are getting easier. My listening skills are improving and I'm not as terrified of city life as I was when I arrived. I think I'll enjoy my classes and I love hanging out with the other International Students, especially the Germans. All in all, I'm doing great.

Tomorrow's another day,

-Colin

P.S. Vagos (similar to 'vagabonds'?)  are either stray dogs or homeless people. The city has plenty of both but I took a picture of the former for you all as well as some other parks and streets.





¡Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your lives! I'm so glad that you are becoming more comfortable and you are making new friends. Thank you for all of the pictures. It's gorgeous there! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I love Germans too! I love reading about your adventure and just keep thinking and laughing to myself because I totally understand everything you are going through!! I am proud that your listening skills are already improving!! We can talk all about this on Skype soon... I hope!

    ReplyDelete