Friday, July 20, 2012

Back to where we started from

Well, it's Friday July 20, and we're home.
Home, home. Gringolandía with all the other gringos, ¿cachai?

Home, sweet home.

Now I can't speak for Rachel, but it's taken less than one week for me to fall back in the swing of things, here in the U.S. I have a car again, so no more transportation. I don't have a Nana, so I get to wash my own clothes. I don't live in a city, so it's a lot less noisy. Finally, We're back in the center of the USA, so no more earthquakes.... (well, not usually.)

We're no longer international students, so no more Carlos E. Torres. He's one of the very best people in Chile.

No really, Carlos is the best!


No more ocean-views from a mirador.

We (Colin) could look at the sea forever! "It just never ends!"


No more Chilean host family.
No more exchange-student friends.
No more a thousand little things that made our four and a half months something we'll treasure forever.

Maybe that's the reverse culture shock: realizing things that won't be around any longer that you've gotten used to.

I can tell you this. I'm not saying chao forever. I don't know when, but I will see you again, Chile. While we're on the subject, I half expect Rachel to move down there and become a Chilean, but we'll see.

At any rate, we've had fun getting to know a wonderfully long and skinny country and we hope you've enjoyed reading about all our mishaps, mistakes, and adventures.

To all, to each,

que les vaya la raja.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to have you both nearer! So glad to have experienced other countries through you!

    ReplyDelete